Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Eve

We spend Christmas Eve with my family out at my grandma's house. This year instead of exchanging presents, money was pooled to buy the things needed to make just under 100 humanitarian kits to send around the world. My aunt purchased hand towels, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste and combs to put in the kits. We gathered as an extended family, there were probably at least 40 or more of us, and did an assembly line to put the kits together. My son Trevor and I were in charge of folding all the hand towels in half and then in thirds. Troy and Taylor then took our towels and put them in the Ziploc bags. Two towels went into each kit. It was so great to have my kids help in a project that will impact so many in need. After they were all filled, we packed them in boxes and hauled them out to my aunts car. We then put on all our outside gear; coats, hats, scarves, gloves, & boots and began our annual caroling walk through my grandmas' neighborhood. We go to the same houses every year and sing two or three songs per house. We don't sound half bad with our large group. The number of houses we go to has started to dwindle a little as the people in the neighborhood have passed away. This is a tradition I look so forward to and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do when we stop gathering as an extended family. I guess we'll figure something out. After caroling, we come back to grandma's for her famous pisole. It is a spicy mexican soup with hominy and hamburger and it is sooo good. I've actually learned how to make it. Not quite like grandma's but maybe one day!! We have some wimpy mouths in the family so I have an aunt that also makes a pretty fabulous homemade chicken noodle soup too! After dinner, the kids gather and put on the Nativity story for us as my grandma reads from the Bible. This year Trevor was Joseph and he was so cute. My nephew was one of the Wise Men and he was adorable as well! We then let all the kids open one present. PAJAMAS!!!! Then we have a pajama parade as everyone shows off their jammies. My uncle wrote a special song that we play during our parade. It's all about flannel jammies on Christmas Eve. This also one of my favorite traditions of Christmas Eve. Then, it's time to pack up and get home to get everyone to bed so Santa can come to visit. I love this special time of year that I can gather with my family and celebrate the true meaning of Christmas and reflect on the life of my Savior. The other things of Christmas are fun and good but finding time to serve and give is truly the best and I know that is the thing that makes us the happiest.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

How fun! I love the traditions you have in your family.
I think I better tell Kathlene about the kits you made, I bet she would love that idea. I bet that will impact your kids, I love it.
I love the candy making too(your mom is so amazing). I always get so stressed out making candy, it is hard to do and with interuptions from the kids.....I am totally going to make Corey take the kids and go hang out with my mom and sister and make candy.
Thanks for the great ideas!

Ryan Cowley said...

Hey girl!

I found your blog through Alli's blog! Love your hair by the way! You look very good with dark hair. By the way, is there any of that yummy candy left....

Rebecca (aka Becky)

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We are the Hall family. We love life and are enjoying our journey together. Our boys are our whole world and we feel so blessed to have each other.